Saturday, July 2, 2016

Communicate 4.3.1


Synchronous sessions are of the utmost importance in the online environment.  It gives students a time to interact with their instructor and vice versa.  For my synchronous sessions, I usually like to start with questions students might have. I encourage students to send me their questions before hand so that I can have a "slide" prepared to review this topic.  Then I move on to what I want to cover that day.  I utilize an app called Air Sketch and my iPad to do problems.  Here is an example of a synchronous session.

Some items you can add to make your synchronous session more fun is a song when students come in.  I like to start the song about 2 minutes before students enter and then it gives me a "timeline" of when to begin.  I also like to post some sort of image welcoming students, giving them an idea of what topics will be covered, and asking them a random fact about themselves.

Having students share a fact about themselves helps to foster community with their classmates and myself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment