Saturday, July 2, 2016

Communicate 4.1.1


Effective communication practices correlate to thorough feedback because if an instructor is clear in the beginning on their expectations, then their feedback will mirror those expectations.  For instance, I require students to upload their work for any "handout" assignments and I communicate this during my Welcome Session.  However, every year I have students who do not follow instructions so I can refer them back to the Welcome Session and ask that they complete the assignment as requested.  I like to see their work so that I can give them thorough feedback on their understanding.

Authentic feedback is crucial for online learners because it is one of the main forms of interaction with the instructor.  If a student does poorly on a quiz, I want to include resources that will help them review the topics missed.  If a student does well on a quiz, I want him/her to know that I noticed (individually) and encourage the student to continue to do well.

An instructor can enrich a student's online experience by giving them feedback tailored to that student. If you notice a student continually missed a specific concept, then tell that student you will review that concept at the next help session and personally invite the student to attend.  If I notice a student fails the first or second quiz of the semester, I always write them a personal email stating that they still have plenty of time to turn it around, and here are the ways to do it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment