Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Communicate 2.1.3

As discussed in my last two posts, ongoing communication with stakeholders is vital for student success in an online course.  In addition to Welcome Communication and communication regarding student progress I also do the following:

  • After due dates I email those students with missing assignments and copy their parents. This helps stakeholders to know that they have a 0.  I always include when the deadline for submitting the assignment is so parents know how the late policy at Ga Virtual works.
  • Prior to due dates, I send an email to all students and parents reminding them of the upcoming deadline and giving them tips on how to approach any challenging assignments that will be due. I also try to remind students to work continuously over the 2 week period rather than waiting until the day/night before the due date.
  • When a student shows marked improvement I try to send the student and their parent a quick email just saying that I have noticed how hard he/she has been working and to keep it up - this type of communication can be the most effective in regards to student morale and rapport with students. 
Communication in an online environment is vital because many students find online learning to be challenging and need the lifeline of open communication in order to adjust.  

Here is an example of ongoing communication I might share with stakeholders: https://www.smore.com/gvyc

No comments:

Post a Comment