Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Communicate 2.1.2

Communication is very important in the online environment.  Below are the different forms of communication needed to be an effective online instructor:

Welcome Email: I use the template provided by Ga Virtual to welcome students and provide vital information for the course.  I usually attach the Ga Virtual provided template to the email and use bullet points in the body of the email to advise stakeholders of the key information.  In the welcome email, the important information includes: completing the Student Orientation Course, creating a Parent Auditor Account, and advising students when their Synchronous Sessions will be held.

Personal Notes vs. Mass Communication: I regularly use mass communication to send emails to students and parents.  I also use DialMyCalls to "phone blast" parents with important information.  Some examples of personal notes are that I like to email students/parents personally if the student fails the first quiz.  If a student fails the first quiz they are likely to feel discouraged and that may show they do not know how to find the important information in the course.  In this case, it is important that students/parents get a personalized email that shows I am monitoring their students progress.

Stakeholders: I always include parents on student emails! Even though students are advised to check their email daily, I still think it is important for parents to remind students of important announcements that have been sent out.  If I send an email regarding a students progress then I include the facilitator so that the student's school is aware of their progress.  Lastly, if a student has violated school policy, or if the student may have issue with school policy, I include online school administration.

School Policies Regarding Communication: I read and adhere to Ga Virtual school policy regarding communication. Two of the most important guidelines are to never include specific student grades and to only communicate with the students parent/guardian.   In addition, documentation is an important aspect of GaVS policy so that all stakeholders can be on the same page regarding when/how students are being communicated with.

Tools for Effective Online Communication: Email is my main form of online communication, but in addition I use News Announcements, Bulletin Boards, and DialMyCalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment