Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Participate 1.1.2 Join a Digital Learning Community

This quest had two parts. The first was to set up a social bookmarking site in which I can share cool sites/tools/articles I see with others.  Its almost like a Pinterest for Websites! The second part was to explore some of the Digital Learning Communities (DLC's) that Jeff Giddens had pulled together.  The idea of a social bookmarking site in which like-minded individuals have a place to share their "internet finds" is really cool and helps to develop the digital community that we hope to cultivate at GA Virtual.

The first DLC I explored was the Free Technology Academy, this site allows anyone to take various programming courses in the hopes to make the understanding of technology more accessible. Next I explored Khan Academy.  Most educators know about Khan Academy - but it is such a valuable resource I felt as though it was relevant to put in my post.  Khan Academy is a site that has help videos for students in many different topics.  They are even partnering with Bank of America to help students (all people...) understand finances! Next I went to Open Study and I think this one is my favorite so far! This is a site where students studying similar topics can collaborate and help one another.  I was fascinated to read that this site was developed by a formed Dean of Students from Emory University as well as a Georgia Tech professor of Artificial Intelligence.  The only worry I have with this site is students cheating rather helping one another learn. But I think that can happen at any time and Open Study seems like a cool way for students to get together.

Next, I went to University of the People  and I was amazed to find free online post-secondary educations programs! This University offers free (almost!) degree programs in Business Administration & Computer Science, both of which are fields that are increasingly important in our era.  The University charges a $10-50 processing fee and a $100 end of course exam fee.  Can you imagine going back to college and only spending at most $6000! I never would have found out about something like this without exploring Jeff's Delicious page - how cool!

Many of the rest of the sites listed are those that allow students to take online courses for free.  At a recent professional development I attended, the speaker discussed the encroachment of free online education on our traditional educational model.  While it is true that students can probably take our math courses online without paying for them, they are lacking the teacher presence (as well as the ability to earn credits) and digital community that make Ga Virtual or even face-to-face schools relevant.  However, I do think being able to enrich any type of course with a free online course from Harvard or Yale is awesome!

I have to say Open Study is still my favorite site.  What a great way for students to connect!

No comments:

Post a Comment