Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Participate: 1.1.1 Character Traits Quest

From my research about Digital Citizenship, I have come to find the three most important traits of a an exemplary online citizen.

The first is the ability to communicate respectfully and appropriately.  I learned about this from the article What should I teach my kid about online and safe behavior?  So many times I have received emails from students that are not well composed or have "txt lingo" in them.  I chose this trait first because the digital world is all about communication which brings me to my next trait.

The next trait is to be able to collaborate with community members in the pursuit of success.  Collaboration has proven to be valuable for me as each online semester passes.  I have always been thankful to have connections with other online educators when random questions pop up, or to just share the workload.  Helping students learn to collaborate appropriately with one another will be paramount as their future jobs will most likely involve a high degree of collaboration.

The third trait exemplary members of the digital community must have is the ability to seek out and identify high quality online information.  The plethora of information on the web can be overwhelming and for many students, frustrating.  So being able to pick out the informative, trustworthy websites is helpful when doing research for papers, trying to find help for a math problem, or just looking up movie times!

Being an exemplary member of the digital community is the first of many important areas Ga Virtual teachers and students must excel in order to promote online learning and development!


No comments:

Post a Comment